List Your Business

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Don’t believe in winning momentum: Karthilk

New Delhi: Delhi Daredevils stand-in captain Dinesh Karthik was his usual candid self as he spoke to the media after losing his second straight game at home, this time to Chennai Super Kings.

Excerpts:

On the Mongoose bat

I always thought the mongoose would only bite (laughs)

On the loss against CSK

Once [Matthew] Hayden got out, we definitely believed in ourselves and we thought we could come back in the game and get a couple of wickets. But still it was a little late in the day, I would I think. I mean, another 10 runs and we could have probably fought, but these 10 runs here and there always [come into play] whenever it is a close game but hats off to the Chennai Super Kings - the way they played. I think they bowled well and the batted well too.

On the need for improvement

I think we have some areas to improve. I think we are losing too many wickets in between … and when we lose one wicket, we seem to be losing a couple more at the same point which hinders us from pushing the run rate to probably even a bigger score. So there are some areas that we can really work on.

On Dilshan not scoring

See it is tough to pinpoint one person. It is a team game and last year I think, [Tillakartne] Dilshan and AB [de Villiers] did very well for us but this year they have been slow starters and we all have seen what Dilshan and AB are capable of. Dilshan is T20 World Player of the Year so he can’t be too far away from a big score.

On Umesh Yadav

I think I am very impressed with Umesh Yadav. He has got that extra pace and you could see he was beating the bat just out of sheer pace which is a good sign for us. I think he is a good bowler and we will definitely keep backing him and see how well he goes.

On the impact of the shots from the Mongoose bat

Well, I think from the back it sounded the same but I can tell you the power was pretty great.

On Virender Sehwag getting injured

It is nothing serious, I am sure he will be fine for the next game.

On Gambhir

Haven’t they [the team management] informed you? I don’t know … I am busy captaining and losing matches … I don’t know at the moment … they will tell you (laughs)

(The team media manager steps in: “Gautam, let me tell you, we have just got reports, [injury updates] are on a day to day progress. As and when I get updates, I will myself tell you.”)

On the late entry of Amit Mishra

It was a tough call, honestly. It was a call where I thought probably that if he goes for a six off a fast bowler … I gave one over to Dilshan and there were two left-handers and he smacked three sixes so I thought that if Amit Mishra bowls, it might be tough on him. I thought if we can push in a couple of overs with the fast bowlers, then probably if he mis-hits one then we can have a chance, and we can always bring in Mishra - he has the experience. But I don’t think he mis-hit even one.

On the loss of momentum

Well I think when you lose two games on the trot you are going to lose momentum, there is no doubt about it. But this momentum and all that, I don’t believe in [it]. Every game is a new game and every day is a new day and you have to go out there and believe you can win, that’s the most important thing.

On the dilemma players face – exposing yourself to injuries playing IPL

I will definitely play IPL. (But isn’t it the responsibility of IPL to ensure [that players are fit for national duty] … asks the journalist) But what can [organisers] do? They can just organise the tournament. It is up to us to play and not get injured.

On a disappointing start to the tournament

Definitely. Last two years we have been coming to the semi-finals. This year I think for the first time at the start of the tournament we have lost two matches. But again, we have got another 10 games to go and I am sure we will do well.

On whether playing away games is better

Just because we have lost two games does not mean we are [more comfortable] playing away. I don’t know our home record but I am sure we will do well at home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment