List Your Business

Saturday, March 20, 2010

'Bowlers will come good'


The first week of IPL has gone by and I have enjoyed every minute of it. When I look back, there have been quite a few defining moments of the tournament thus far.

But I think the way Jacques Kallis has batted, he has shown how to build an innings. Even though in the Twenty20 format it does come off very quickly, the composure shown by Kallis has been amazing. Then you have the Indian legends in Tendulkar and Sehwag who just prove what an exciting concept Twenty20 cricket is. I think the IPL just proves what the T20 format can showcase if you have all the talent enjoyed by all.

Then we have seen a couple of really good catches also through the matches.

But I think as a former fast bowler, Dirk Nannes’ spell in the earlier game in Ahmadabad stood out for me. The way he bowled with figures of 2-12 was outstanding. We haven't seen too many fast bowlers get much joy in this series at this stage but I hope Dirk hasn't probably has saved his best for first, used his best bowling in the first match.

There is so much good cricket happening that defining five best moments is damn near impossible. But that innings by Yusuf Pathan to get the Rajasthan Royals so close to winning down in Mumbai, that’s probably got to be number one moment of the week.

I have not been surprised by the nature of pitches on offer during the tournament, not at all. I think that is what we are going to get. Good, flat, hard wickets that encourage the batsmen to go and play all their shots.

But we will find the way that the batsmen are enjoying great form right now, the bowlers too will begin to bowl with skill, and use a bit of tactics now that they have seen some of the players, the way they play. They certainly will adjust and I am looking forward to that stage.

But the way the likes of Virender Sehwag, Yusuf Pathan, Matthew Hayden and the others are batting, I am glad I am not bowling. It is certainly much easier up here in the commentary box.

No comments:

Post a Comment