List Your Business

Thursday, April 8, 2010

'100 is a great milestone': Warner

New Delhi: David Warner smashed an explosive century as Delhi Daredevils romped to their first home victory this season, beating Kolkata Knight Riders by 40 runs at the Feroz Shah Kolta in New Delhi on Monday.

In a media interaction, the 'Pocket Rocket' said that he wanted to score a hundred in the Twenty20 format and hopes that Sehwag and he can get going together to set a new record in this format.

Excerpts

On Delhi Daredevils’ chances of reaching the semis

Oh, I wouldn’t go that far but we do have to show the depth in our squad. To have a world class player like AB [de Villiers] and obviously [Tillakaratne] Dilshan as well, to just show the depth of our squad is amazing, and whoever comes in [is] going to [have to] fight for a spot and keep playing good cricket. It’s good for us and we are a very good, balanced side and hopefully we will keep progressing and take each game as it comes.

On the innings he rates as his most satisfying

The most satisfying thing is that we won. Obviously, [I] wanted a first 100 and I did that and I’m very happy and proud for myself. It has been amazing from the start, from when I made my debut for Australia, and my batting coach coming to me and his welcome knowledge about batting. Turns out he is one of the best batting coaches in the world and for myself personally it is a great milestone to get a 100. I want to keep continuing this form for Delhi and hopefully I can come in the next game and try and back that up.

On batting with Virender Sehwag

Yeah, it’s one of those things, growing up as a kid, watching him do it on TV, smashing the ball all over the park all the time. It’s one of the things I keep in the back [of my head] and say ‘I am actually playing with this guy’. [I’ve admires him for] many years, as I was growing up, and it’s amazing to stand at one end when he is blazing at that park as well. Hopefully he can learn from me as I am learning a lot from him. We both can keep going in one game and see what total we can put on the board.

On whether Delhi Daredevils possess the best batting order in IPL 2010

I wouldn’t say best, I reckon a very good, balanced one. Our strength in bowling is good as well. We have a couple of young Indian players […] We can afford to play eight batsmen in so it’s good for us, it’s a very steady line up but we just can’t leave it to the next person - one of the top 4 has to stay there and be there till the end. Of course, in the last couple of games we have been able to have someone till the end who is set and he can hit the ball over the fence. So [that’s] fortunate and hopefully we can keep this momentum in the next couple of games.

On Murali Kartik’s catch

Yeah I saw that, I wasn’t confident he caught it but as a team player I accepted his decision. But then the umpires got together and stopped me from walking off and looked back and fortunately I wasn’t out. So credit to him anyway because he didn’t know. You don’t know if you have caught it or not [when you’re in the thick of the action].

On his first win in Delhi

Yeah, I have always been here. You know we played at the Feroz Shah in the Champions League Twenty20 and I personally took to this wicket very well. Hopefully Delhi can keep winning more games here. The crowds get us going and I love hearing Viru Sehwag and Gauti’s [Gautam Gambhir’s] calling. We just love their support and hope they keep turning out for us.

On his partnership with Paul Collingwood

I said to him when he first came in, ‘We’ve got to knuckle down here we […] we are going [at] 10 an over’. I knew my job wasn’t [over] then, I knew we had to knuckle down. I said to him we keep rotating the strike and maybe take that one risk an [that would] work out for us in the end. As long as we had wickets in hand, we knew we could set a good total. I knew 160 to 180 was going to be very hard to get batting second.

On whether Collingwood or he was the more experienced batsman

Oh he is, Polly [Paul Collingwood]. He has played all three forms of the game for his country, he has captained his country, he is an all-round guy so any advice from him I would knuckle down and listen to him but at the time I am still young and playing the game so he is going to listen to me […] Both parties listening at once is good and when we’re out there batting, we’ve got to have that momentum going.

On playing the next match against Shane Warne

Yeah, you know in many games I have played I have never come up against him yet. [He’s a] world class bowler still playing [his] best cricket at the moment. I was going to be there at the six over [mark] to actually face him, so when the time comes I am going to try and take him down. That’s […] my job and that’s what I am going to do.

On whether he was relieved that Shane Bond wasn’t playing

No, I would have liked him to play because you know that extra quick [pace] gets you going and it’s unfortunate that he was ill tonight. It’s one of those things, you know, that they maybe [have] got to bowl well in the first couple of games. But obviously when Shane came over [he was not on target]. But it’s one of those things. You’ve got to keep the momentum going for yourself and when you know my tempo is going in one over, you’ve got to learn to bring it back. That’s what I did tonight and that’s one thing I am going to take out of this innings tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment