List Your Business

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sangakkara looks to the future

Dharamsala: Kings XI Punjab skipper Kumar Sangakkara put up a brave, yet philosophical, front as he spoke to the media after yet another loss for his team, this time against Deccan Chargers.

Excerpts:

On whether he is tired of offering up the reasons for a loss so often: Yeah, but we have got to be accountable at the end of the day. [We put a] great total on the board [and gave a] great opportunity for our bowlers to really execute game plans. And we fell way, way short.

On the pitch: [There was] some movement and bounce early on, but not much after that. [It was] quite a good track, much better than what we thought it would be.

On what they need to do next year: Well, I think it’s a few things. I think first of all to keep things as simple as we can and make sure everyone’s on the same page as to what the plans are and how well we execute them. We have got to make sure that we are supporting each other and everyone’s playing for each other and for the franchise with a lot of pride. And also make sure individually that we get better every year, every game we play. The real thing is to be a thinking cricketer, to understand what your side needs from you at that particular moment of the game. When you start reading the game you become a better player, you become a better team.

On the bowling plans: Yeah...everyone wants to win. No one wants to look back and unfortunately…today we had our bowling plans, we had great opportunities to use it up….unfortunately we had too many balls [that were] either half-trackers or not quite in the blockhole. Rohit Sharma batted really, really well to put those away. Unfortunately all the hard work done in a great innings by Mahela (Jayawardena) went in vain at the end of the day.

On whether the mood in the camp is to get the tournament over and done with: Well, not really. I think you know I want to win every time I play. If I don’t have that motivation and that drive, I don’t think I will be playing this game. Whether I play for my country or whether I play for my club or some other charity game, I still want to do good and perform as well as I can. So that’s what keeps driving me and I am sure that’s what drives all the players in the dressing room.

On how will he keep track of players: It’s difficult. International players you kind of see them on and off on tours. But local players, it gets really difficult. But I think we have got a good recruitment and coaching programme locally. So I think most of the work to be done has to be more on an individual basis where you take something away by playing on a stage like this. And you try and work on your own game when you play for your state and internationally.

On the Dharamsala venue: It’s a wonderful place. I think the people are extremely friendly, very hospitable. Beautiful place, beautiful ground, more cricket to be played here. I believe more teams would probably want to come here and play.

On whether he visited the Buddhist temple: No, I haven’t visited the temple as yet. [I] just walked around a bit, went to a couple of restaurants, that’s about it really.

On meeting the Dalai Lama: Well, I think he is such a world figure, religious figure. I think anyone is privileged to have an audience with him. There will be a lot of players out there who would want to visit the monastery.

On whether he is relieved at not making the semis: Not really. We are here to win, we want to win in every match we play and get into the semis, final, hopefully. But unfortunately this year it’s not going to.

No comments:

Post a Comment